What would cause a split second blackout?

  • I just stood up and my vision went black, then I regain my vision and I’m on the floor and numb. I barely remember anything before I regained my sight. I’m almost 15 and I’m concerned, what happened?

    That happened to me in mid-January 2008 on a Tuesday morning when I got up at 4: 20 AM to get ready for work. Alarm went off, hit the snooze, sat up, next thing I know is I’m on the floor chewing the carpet and it’s 2 minutes later. I felt okay after a shower, got dressed, ate breakfast, went to work, finished my shift, went home and called the doctor to set up an appointment for a physical before I even said hello to my wife. Doc said to come see her the following Monday.

    Wife was worried, because I never call the doctor (before then). But was happy I did when I explained why.

    I thought it was a sudden loss of blood pressure from getting up too quick.

    Friday morning, same thing happens, only this time I have a rug burn on my forehead.

    Called off work, got into the clinic that morning, had a full physical including blood work. Monday, I had a stress test and x-rays. All results came back as normally healthy for a man my age, almost 51. The stress test technician refused to believe I had smoked 3 packs a day for over 20 years, had quit altogether a couple years before, as my recovery time from the exercise was equal to someone who ran 20 – 30 minutes every day.

    Doc called it Asymptomatic Syncope, basically, blacking out for no reason. Plan of action was, we’ll keep an eye on things.

    Next episode I remember was about Noon on 15 April 2008. I was reading my emails before leaving for work and passed out at the computer. When I woke up, talked to my wife about what occurred and was deciding if I needed to call off and see the doctor again.

    I went down again while I was talking to her, woke up and stopped her before she could call 911. I called my doctor, told her what happened, said to go to the city hospital and that she would call to tell them a possible heart patient was coming in. Packed an overnight bag and my wife drove me to the ER,

    In a room within minutes, x-rays, blood work, ultrasound…vitals being monitored.

    The attending physician, who looked like Antonio Banderas, leans against the door post of the examining room and speaks in a wonderful bass, Spanish accent; “Mr Robinson, your results are that you are perfectly healthy for a man your age. This, concerns me.”

    “Me too, Doc.”

    “I would like to admit you for overnight monitoring.”

    “Okay by me.”

    “No argument?”

    “What’s to argue? Something is wrong, I’m someplace where it can be figured out, and possibly fixed.”

    “Ah, I like you very much, you are a sensible man.” He bowed to my wife, exited and I never saw him again.

    By 4 PM, I was in the cardiac unit with heart, breathing, blood pressure and blood oxygen monitors attached. About 6 PM, had supper of a cheeseburger, fries and a Coke (they fed my wife, too). About 7: 30 PM, she went home to look after the cats. I fell asleep about 8 PM.

    The charge nurse woke me up about 5: 30 AM and asked; “Do you remember 5 of us and the crash cart being in your room earlier this morning?”

    “No, I was sleeping,” I picked at the front of my gown, “I do see I have a new gown on, though.”

    “You arrested 13 times overnight, the longest was 28 seconds.” she said, “We had the gown cut open and were about to apply the paddles, when you came out of it by yourself. Damnedest thing, you never stopped breathing.”

    8 of the Pauses were from 6 to 12 seconds. The 5 longest: 13, 15, 18, 23 and 28. My blood oxygen never got below 90%.

    She then said the cardiology surgeon was on his way to explain what they thought was occurring and that a pacemaker would be needed.

    By Noon I had a twin lead pacemaker. Blood work taken post procedure showed none of the enzymes produced when there is damage from a heart stoppage. I was home by Noon the next day, my wife’s birthday.

    I go into a condition called Sinus Arrest when I do not have a pacemaker. The Sinus Node of my heart, the body’s natural pacemaker, sometimes does not send a signal and my heart goes slack. I have never had a traditional heart attack, so the muscles are perfectly fine.

    This is the lead to the 28 second pause (#9 in the series), which happened about 1: 40 AM on 16 April 2008.

    As you can see, nice normal sinus rhythm, then, flat line.

    The charge nurse taught cardiac care in the nursing school at the local college. She asked if she could use my chart and traces (personal info redacted) to teach,. I agreed, had her get a release from the hospital legal office so there would be no doubt.

    She had been on the ward 19 years. I was the very first patient to present as I did.

    Had the original pacemaker replaced in October 2016. My current cardiologist thinks I will not need a new one before 2030.

    My heart has relearned its job to some extent. When I first got the device, it paced over 21% of the time for the atrium (primary pump) and 2% for the ventricle (secondary). Most recently, I pace under 13% atrial and under 1% ventricular.

    TLDR: Ask your parents to get you to the doctor for a full work up, including a 24 hour (at least) Holter monitor session. You may, MAY, have a similar heart defect to mine. If so, you can live a long, full, healthy life with a pacemaker.

Buy CBD Oil Florida